Northern Beaches / North Shore

Call or SMS NOW 0423 ​082 021

fast learning

Car licences

To get your learner licence you need to be 16 years of age or older. You will need to attend a NSW registry prove your identity and pass a Driver Knowledge Test (DKT). You can book your DKT online at myTests, by phoning 13 22 13 or at any registry. Before taking the test, you should study the Road Users’ Handbook and the brochure Getting your driver licence. 
Learner licence

Learner licences are valid for five years. You will receive a Learner driver log book so that you and your supervising driver(s) can record your driving experience. You will have to log at least 120 hours of supervised driving (which includes a minimum of 20 hours of night driving) before you can attempt the Driving Test. Night driving hours are between sunset and sunrise.

​Learner drivers who complete a one hour structured driving lesson with a fully licensed driving instructor can record three hours driving experience in their Learner Driver Log Book. A maximum of 10 hours of lessons will be accepted and recorded as 30 hours driving experience in the Learner Driver Log Book. These structured lessons must be recorded in the Structured Lesson Record Keeper log book insert in order to be recognised.

On 3 May 2004 the legal alcohol limit in NSW for all learner and provisional (P1 and P2) licence holders became ZERO.

On 1 July 2013 the legal speed limit for all NSW learner drivers was increased to 90km/h.

​Please click here to see 7 steps to progress from a learner to a full licence.

New residents of NSW

If you move to NSW from another Australian State or Territory, or if you have migrated from another country - you will need to make arrangements to get a NSW driver or rider licence. You can use your existing licence for up to three months, after which you must have a NSW licence in order to drive a vehicle. 

Your overseas licence will be taken into account when you apply for a NSW licence, and once you have passed any required tests, the NSW licence is issued in line with NSW's Graduated Licensing Scheme. If you have held your overseas driver or rider licence for less than 12 months, you will be issued a NSW provisional P1 licence. If you have held your overseas driver licence for more than 12 months but less than three years, a provisional P2 licence will be issued. If you have held your overseas driver licence for more than three years, you will be issued with a NSW unrestricted licence. If you fail the driving test, your visiting driving privileges will be withdrawn. To continue to drive in NSW you must then get a learner licence that will allow you to drive and attempt another driving test.

There are three tiers of overseas licences RMS considers when converting to a NSW driver licence:

​* Recognised country A - exempt from computer and driving tests when applying a same class NSW licence

Recognised country B- experienced drivers (over 25 years of age) are exempt from computer and driving tests when applying a same class NSW licence​. Below 25 years old still subject to normal testing requirement.

​* Non recognised country - must undertake computer and driving tests.

For more information, please visit official RMS website